Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mythbusters

My Dad was born in Minden, Neb., and he has a lot of stories about how people from Nebraska are something special. "Salt of the Earth," is what I remember. And I believe it.
But some stories are harder to believe. And today, I learned that some just aren't true. An example: He apparently didn't walk to school uphill both ways. In fact, I don't think I found ANY hills in Minden.
But Minden has really nice people who couldn't wait to help us with directions and general information about the town. A woman in the county clerk's office pulled out the marriage records from the 1920's to help find my grandparents' wedding date. And get this: I found my grandfather's name on the memorial to World War I vets outside the courthouse.
So I will continue to think of Nebraska natives as "salt of the Earth." And when it comes to the "uphill both ways" story I will have a strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy.









1 comment:

Salem oldies said...

You lucky guys. Minden is the garden city of Nebraska...in fact of the Mid-West. Loved the pictures.
Heard that a few years back a bulldozer trimmed down the hill between our home and the school. A picture of that would have helped explain why skepticsm greets my stories.
Salem Oldies